woensdag 18 april 2012

Oatmeal & bare bottoms in the grass

Yesterday evening I was looking on the internet to try to find several recipes for oatmeal. For the last few months, I have grown to love oatmeal. It's very tasty and it's great for feeling full and no snacking in the morning! There’s seems to be a lot more choice in the USA than in the Netherlands when it comes to oatmeal brands, possibilities, etc. I would like to do something about that!

I’m planning to try several oatmeal recipes and try several brands. The two most well known brands of oatmeal in the Netherlands are Brinta and Quaker. These are instant oatmeal which means that you only need to heat up milk, when it’s warm add the oatmeal, stir it for about 30 seconds and eat it. That’s the kind I’m eating in the morning. In fact, I have quite a lot oatmeal at home so I’m not planning to buy anything else like steel cut oats for the time being. But I think it’s fun to see what I can create each morning. I have to tell you that I’m very loyal to a taste/ flavour if I like it so there’s a change that you will see the same recipes for several days in a row.
With that being said, this morning I tries something new. This morning I used the following ingredients:

250 ml skimmed milk
35 gram instant oatmeal
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
2 tablespoons of raisins
2 tablespoons of non fat yoghurt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

I let the chia seeds and raisins well overnight and in the morning put the milk, oatmeal, chia seeds and the raisins in a pan and cook it for about five minutes. Normally I heat up the milk, put it in a bowl and add the oatmeal. But now, once it was all in a pan and it started to cook, it started to get think and more fluffy than I’m used to. I pored everthing in a bowl and added the yoghurt and cinnamon. When I took my first bite, I was hooked! I loved it! Just make sure that you stir the chia seeds through the oatmeal because otherwise the seeds will stick together! I had my sliced apple and a cup of rooibos tea, as usual, and it was perfect. A great start to the day!

I had planned to eat nothing till lunch to try and see if this meal would get me through lunch. Sadly (or not!) my manager bought me and my colleagues coffee and something sweet. So I chose a cappuccino and a bar of Tony Chocolonely chocolate and ate a few pieces. Later in the day I gave the rest to my colleagues and they loved it!
Lunch was, again, nothing special: 3 sandwiches with chicken filet, mustard and veggies. I never make photo’s of my lunch because, I’m sure, my colleagues will have a big lough!
In the afternoon I snacked on an apple, a small kiwi and a few radishes. I cleaned them in the morning.

Dinner tonight was grilled chicken, french beans with cannelonni beans, herbs and sweet potatoe fries. The french beans with cannelonni and herbs are called “bare bottoms in the grass” in the Netherlands which I got from the new Allerhande. Can you tell why? I also added a tablespoon of hummus for the veggies and the fries. It kinda made like a sauce which was good!

Dessert was simple: rooibos tea with two whole wheat cookies in front of the TV watching DC cupcakes.



This week has been low in terms of exercising. After Sunday, my feet and knees hurted a bit and I wanted to rest before any injuries would accure. I feel much better know and am planning on going to the gym tomorrow and slowly start to get back to my fitness regime; 30 minutes of weigth training and 40 minutes of (interval) cardio. On May 5, my wedding dress is being altered and I need to look good!

Speaking of the wedding: the important preparations has been done and it is now down to the details. I’m thinking of a nice thank you presents for the guests when the wedding is over. Do you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!

I’m going to study now, have to hand in my school assignment before April 30 and I still have a lot to do.

Enjoy your day, wherever you are!

Geen opmerkingen: